Friday 14 December 2012

Mudlarking - another day's finds

A couple of weeks ago I unexpectedly found myself on the Thames foreshore. We'd forgotten the youngest had an INSET day so one of us had to stay at home, partly to ensure the French project got done. Our attempt to catch the bronze exhibition was yet again postponed. I'd been going stir crazy at home for the last four days so was grateful to be the one let out. 

Had a really enjoyable mooch despite the rain. An early find was a medieval tile enlivened by the animal that had walked across it 600+ years ago. A Museum of London archaeologist leading a foreshore school group kindly worked out it had decorated the front of a house. Now, I was just going to say the paw print was a dogs as I couldn't be bothered to check out paw prints on google. Passed around like after eight mints after our ‘in the shed’ Sunday lunch, the Millers decided it was definitely not a dogs. Between them they ruled out  cat, rat, squirrel so at the moment we’re left with rabbit. I spent a few minutes on google looking at paw prints but I’m not sufficiently motivated to trawl. Perhaps my animal loving sister who spent her youth plaster casting footprints as we walked around Britain can help us out - Laura?
Mudlarking Find: Medieval tile with paw print
Half the Millers Id Crew Sunday Lunching in the disco shed. 
The archaeologist suggested another find was a Victorian bell – metal seems to be coming my way now. Since Tania Covo suggested I can always pass on surplus ceramic finds for her to craft into more wonderful Thames Jewellery, handfuls of small shards of porcelain, pearlware and creamware found their way into my bags. There is something so satisfying about finding a house, people or animals framed in a shard. The craftsmanship appreciated more when a tantalising fragment of pattern is rescued. 

Mudlarking Find: Small Victorian Bell 


Mudlarking Finds: Houses 

Mudlarking Finds: Flowers
Mudlarking Finds: Patterns
I don't often find a new type so nice to pick up these two shards, which the expert ceramic mudlarker had pointed out to me a fortnight ago. Unfortunately I've forgotten their provenance and no luck on google so far. 

I  left the foreshore bathed in sun and blue sky and made my way to the wonderful  Museum of London. They have a knack of displaying just enough to give a real feel for each period without overwhelming you. Wonderful selection of medieval pots. 
Medieval Pottery 13th-14th Century (Museum of London) 

2 comments:

  1. Saw this and thought of you

    http://vimeo.com/51988239#

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, What a fascinating blog! My hubby and I recently partook in mudlarking on our recent visit to London - and it was the highlight of our trip! We were amazed at what you can find in such a short space of time! Your finds are amazing.

    ReplyDelete